I can almost guarantee you it’s going to take you longer to read this post than it takes me to schedule 4 months of content for Pinterest.
Doing this full process is one of the things that allows me to walk away from my blog for so long without worrying at all!
This is a long and very detailed email, but I want YOU to be able to walk away during the holidays without worrying too… So, hang in there… it’s worth it!
Here is my full process for bulk scheduling pins with Tailwind
These aren’t hard and fast rules, of course. You know your blog, content, and pins better than any one!
However, I can tell you that after 3 years of scheduling like this across 3 different blogs, this method hasn’t let me down yet!
And yes, I use Tailwind.
I know a lot of people that “hate” Tailwind, but I maintain it’s just because they haven’t really seen what it can do for you. Like schedule hundreds of pins in just minutes… Let me show you exactly what I do!
1. Schedule Your Own Pins FIRST
I like to pin about 5-8 of my own pins per day and about 2-3 of other people’s pins. But first, we are going to look at just how to deal with our own pins.
If you don’t have a Tailwind account yet, here’s a free month to help you decide if it’s worth it for you!
And once you have your account, make sure that you ONLY have as many slots on your daily schedule as you will be pinning of OTHER people’s content.
The reason for that is that we will schedule our own pins in such a way that they don’t fill in the existing time slots.
If you need to change the number of slots you have available go to Publisher >> Your Schedule >> Recreate Schedule >> Set number of posts >> Submit
If you already had pins in your queue (say 15 per day) and now you’re going down to 5 per day, you can re-allot those pins by hitting the “Fill in Time Slots” button:
That button will shift to the slots you have just created!
Now we’re ready to get to scheduling!
- Select a pin, tag 3-6 appropriate boards (more if you have them), set the proper start date and set them with a 3-5 day interval. Be sure to select “optimized” on the times before hitting “schedule”.
- Repeat with all your fall and Christmas content, then fill in gaps with your best performing pins. You’ll want to pin through January 20th with your own content.
- Pinning with the interval setting locks the pins in place, which you will need during later steps.
- You’ll want to do this before pinning other people’s content, so you can see that you have the right number of personal pins per day schedule.Remember, about 5-8 per day need to be your own pins.
2. Fill in the Rest of Your Schedule
Because of the way our own pins are scheduled above, the rest of your Tailwind queue will still be empty, so here’s how I fill that SUPER fast.
- Use the browser extension to pin mass pins and only do 1 category at a time.Allow me to elaborate on this point a bit. If you don’t have the Tailwind browser extension, you can grab it here: Safari | Chrome
Once you have that installed, you can go to Pinterest and navigate to any board, account, search, feed… and click the browser extension button.
Then up pops a screen like this:
If you’re not familiar with the extension, I wanted to break it down for you.
1: As you select pins they are highlighted in blue and added to the bottom of your screen. That allows you to see what you’re already selected so you don’t grab the same pin twice.
2. This area shows your pins on the left, and on the right shows you how many pins you have selected. When you’re ready, click “Go Schedule!” to add the pins to your queue.
After you click “Go Schedule!” another screen will pop up that allows you to specify the boards you want the pins to be added to.
This is why I like to pin one topic at a time, because then I can select boards that apply to ALL the pins I’m working with and apply them to all the pins… no working with one pin at a time. SUPER FAST!
- You’ll repeat this process for all the topics you want to pin. I do my normal topics and also seasonal content.
- So, for the holiday season pin 10 fall pins and 4 Christmas pins per week until your queue is full right up until November 15th. You’ll need to refresh your Tailwind queue page to see your progress.
- Once your queue is full until JUST November 15th, shuffle your queue to evenly distribute content. Your own pins are not affected, since they were locked in place during scheduling. You can shuffle by hitting the “Shuffle Queue” button at the top of your scheduled pins page.
- Next, start pinning Christmas content until your queue is full up until December 20th. DO NOT SHUFFLE AGAIN at this point. It will distribute Christmas content in all the wrong places.
- On November 15th, set an alarm to shuffle your queue again. It takes 15 seconds and it’s all you have to do!
- If you want to pin a bit of New Years content then on Nov 15th after you shuffle for Christmas, pin through January 20th with healthy recipes, money saving tips, and ways to keep NY resolutions.
- On December 20th, set an alarm to shuffle the queue again.
It would be ideal if there was a way to not have to login and shuffle the queue on certain dates, but hey… 15 seconds of effort and you know your queue is all set up while you’re enjoying the holidays!
What did I tell you? Long, detailed, totally worth it (at least in my opinion 😉)!